Click here or press the Escape key to leave this site now
Helpline 01738 630965
Office 01738 626290

Recently assaulted?

If you have recently been raped or sexually assaulted:

  • Try to be somewhere that feels safe.
  • Try to contact a friend or someone you trust who can be with you.
  • You may have injuries, it’s important to have them treated at a hospital or you can visit your GP.
  • If you think you would like to report the incident to the police, you can contact the police directly, phone the RCS Helpline or speak to a local rape crisis centre.
  • If you are unsure whether or not you want to report, you may still be able to have a forensic examination so that evidence can be collected as soon as possible. This is through the Sexual Assault Referral Network (SARN). You need to contact us if you are interested in this. Please click here for further information.
  • If you have decided that you do want to report the assault, contact the police so they can arrange a forensic examination as soon as possible. As much as possible please don’t wash, eat or drink before contacting them. This is important so that as much forensic evidence can be gathered as possible.
  • You can change your clothes but if possible put any clothes you were wearing at the time of the assault in a bag to give to the police.
  • Tell the police if you think you may have been drugged or your drink ‘spiked’. They will arrange for blood and urine tests.
  • You might not feel like reporting now, but you might in time. So keep the clothes you were wearing at the time of the assault, don’t wash them and put them in a plastic bag.
  • If you wash yourself, use safe products, not household cleaning products as they can be harmful.
  • You may want to take the morning after pill (up to 72 hours after) or have a coil fitted (up to 5 days after). You can buy emergency contraception at a pharmacy. You can also go to your Family Planning Clinic, genito-urinary medicine (GUM) clinic or GP. The local clinic in Perth is based at Drumhar Health Centre.
  • If you are worried about sexually transmitted infections, you can have fully confidential advice and treatment from your nearest GUM clinic. You do not need a letter from your doctor. You don’t have to give the clinic your real name.


Latest news

Helpline Hours are Changing

Helpline Hours are ChangingJan 9: helpline change of hours

Rape Crisis Scotland Helpline & Sexual Assault Referral Network open over the festive season.

Rape Crisis Scotland Helpline & Sexual Assault Referral Network open over the festive season.Dec 19: Over the festive season the Rape Crisis Scotland Helpline is open ebery evening 6pm to midnight. Call 08088 01 03 02